It was 1997 when Scotland developer DMA Design (the previous name of Rockstar Games) become very popular. They just released their first Grand Theft Auto game whose creative director was Dave Jones. Starting with this success becomes the second name of all following sequels. It took three years to create the first game. Some people like new concept, other gamers just hated it. And for this reason game become very popular.
Fans couldn't wait for every next installment in GTA series and people from Rockstar knew it! They released five more games and in 2013 they made the most innovative, the most exciting and the most epic game - Grand Theft Auto V. The most amazing thing about every GTA game for PC is mods of course. Fans made millions of different modifications that could change almost every aspect of game and add new weapons, clothes, new cars and even new cities!
The list of GTA games for PC
- Grand Theft Auto - the first game in series, released in 1996. It was top-down view game, graphics and detail were great, but nor groundbreaking. The most amazing thing in first GTA was unlimited freedom. It was innovative, because no one other game could give player such freedom. It took players to a huge city, where they can do everything they want. There were 3 cities in first GTA game: Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas. Player should complete campaign missions and gain experience to move to another city.
- Grand Theft Auto 2 - the next installment which was released in 1999, but the campaign took place in 2013. Game soon become very popular due the popularity of original. Graphics become much better, but still in 2D.
- GTA 3 - the first game in series in full 3D. Graphics and detail were much better than in previous games, and campaign was exciting, so game stays very popular even nowadays as later it was re-released on iOS and Android mobile devices.
- Vice City - enhanced graphics and interface. Campaign missions are more interesting and breath-taking. The city becomes much better and now player was able to took side missions which are not connected to main story.
- San Andreas - one of the most popular game in GTA series with lots additions in gameplay. Map becomes much bigger, main character now could swim, change clothes, train in gym and make tattoos. The first GTA with mini games (yep! Now you can play games, while playing game!).
- GTA IV - the most significant addition is graphics. The fourth installment used new RAGE engine, so graphic becomes fantastic. And the world looked so real... If we showed you screenshots of GTA 4 with mods and real photos, we bet you couldn't see the difference!
- GTA V - were released a few years ago. Forget about one main character - now you have three! And you can control them in real time. The world becomes bigger and more realistic, it looks like the real world! And we don't even mention freedom.
- GTA Online - standalone component of GTA 5. Of course some of previous games also had multiplayer, but this is something like GTA MMO.
Secret of success
So why all these games are so popular? And what consolidates all games in series? The first thing is freedom and criminals. These two components make GTA games so fantastic. Player can choose mission and can do everything to complete it - there is no any bounds! Everybody dreams to be a mad citizen who doesn't care about rules and laws. So in GTA games this dream becomes true! Here everybody can become true criminal - it is very simple!
In GTA you can complete missions, steal vehicles and escape from cops. You should drive carefully, otherwise you can brake your car and police will catch you! You also can drive helicopters, bikes, ambulance, boats and other vehicles, including Rhino tank! You can hear great music on the in-game radio while driving.
Gameplay and mechanics
It is just amazing. Really, a lot of players argue on control system, graphics, physical model of vehicles and other things, but all-in-all GTA games are very addictive. When you enter this fantastic virtual world you forget about everything, the city and atmosphere are so realistic that you can't even believe you are playing game! Ambient sounds and music are also important aspects of the game. So it looks and feels like real world. By the way, maybe you can experience the same feelings while playing GTA games on this page. Try it!
The story of all Grand Theft Auto games has very simple approach: player must kill every criminal and become the most respectable person in the city. But it is very hard to reach this goal. Maybe you already know that every city in every GTA game is unique, so you can visit virtual Los Angeles, London and other cities, which become prototype to game city: Vice City is Miami prototype, San Fierro based on San Francisco and so on. The scripts of every game are also unique, some of them take thousand of A4 pages. Maybe it is the real key to success of all these games. Maybe all these aspects, including the most realistic virtual world, freedom of movement, realistic graphics and others, made this games so popular so every boy wants to play GTA games.
You can call this games as criminal drama with funny jokes. The most important thing that should be remembered - after a few hours of playing you should come back to this world and don't do anything you saw in GTA in real world! It could be difficult some people, so maybe it could take some time for you to come round. But you should always remember that you should not steal cars and kill people in real life. You just idiot if you don't understand that.
Giant leap forward
Just think about all this time passed away from the release of first GTA and the amount of work that developers made to improve the whole lineup. Now you know the keys to success of this series. They made it for you, so now you can enjoy all this improvements, conquer all this cities and become the most sharp and respected gangster. What are you waiting for? Grab your first cat and prove that you are the boss in this city and nobody can say you what to do!